Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Coffee on the Rise

I’m spilling the beans…and turning them into more than steamy cups of delicious coffee. With this summer’s endless heat wave, I‘ve been making lots of iced coffee, it’s a nice pick-me-up in the middle of the afternoon. But then I discovered I could turn coffee into coffee granita and serve it for dessert! It couldn’t be simpler! In a 2-quart glass baking dish dissolve two cups of hot coffee with ⅔ cup of sugar. When sweetened coffee has cooled, cover and freeze for several hours. When ice crystals form, use a fork to mix them with the coffee mixture that has not yet formed ice crystals. Place granita back in the freezer for an hour or more and repeat the process of mixing with a fork. When all of the coffee is frozen into icy crystals, your coffee granita is ready to serve.

The beauty of granita is it will keep for several days in the freezer, simply scrape it into crystals before serving. If desired top granita with a dollop of scratch-made whipped cream, Kahlua or Baileys Irish Cream or any other complementing coffee companion!

I was thrilled the response I received from launching Click & Cook, thank you to all who weighed in. Here’s another opportunity to weigh in, in the forthcoming months I will be featuring Artisan’s from all over the globe. My first mention is Peet’s coffee, I taste tested it a few months back and fell in love with the flavor and the companies philosophy, they partner with TechnoServe Let me know who is your favorite coffee Artisan.

Remember to send me your favorite food Artisan, if I like their product, I’ll find a way to use it in a recipe or I’ll feature a link to their site on my home page.