Thursday, August 26, 2010

Spearmint Peaches

The aroma of the peaches was so fragrant I could hardly contain myself from biting into one while waiting in line to pay for them. The thought of doing that was interrupted with visions of peach juice dripping down my chin, shirt, or worse, the peach so ripe that once I bit into it, its’ soft juicy flesh would collapse and I would end up stuffing the peach ball into my mouth, pit and all! So I tabled the thought and waited until we got home. Peach fragrance seemed to be hovering about for the duration of the short ride home.


But while I was waiting for the farmer to give me change, I smelled spearmint coming from one of the herb containers nearby. The intense spearmint aroma and the fragrant peaches was so appealing, I contemplated the thought of combining the two.

And I did, with beautiful and tasty results. Here’s the simple process … Dissolve 1½ cups of sugar into 2 cups of water, bring to a boil, reduce heat slightly and cook for about 5 minutes. Add one bunch of spearmint, (reserve some leaves for garnish) stir them until they wilt, add pitted peach halves (skin on) to syrup water. Cook for about 1-2 minutes on each side or until tender, FYI, tender happens quickly. With a slotted spoon, carefully remove peach halves. When cool enough to handle (1-3 minutes) gently remove skin.

To serve, place two halves on a plate, spoon a little spearmint syrup over peaches, garnish with spearmint leaves. For added decadence, add a little vanilla ice cream or cottage cheese! Leftover syrup is a great sweetener for iced tea!