Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Nuts About Pairing Yellow and Blue

When our friend arrived today, Nick and I offered to take him to lunch or have lunch at home on the sun porch. He opted for home on the sun porch and I was complimented. I'd just gotten home from the Farmer's Market, recycled bags were brimming with fruits and vegetables I wanted to share. We devoured BLT's, they were perfect ... Artisan bread was lightly coated with mayonnaise (a favorite comes from Whole Foods Market, it's their brand, 365) and covered with thick juicy tomato disks, garden fresh red leaf lettuce leaves and crispy, hormone and nitrate-free bacon. For our side dish, I halved baby yellow pear shaped tomatoes, tossed them with a little extra virgin olive oil and topped it with toasted sunflower seeds and one of my favorite types of bleu cheese, raw milk Bleu D' Auvergne. Yum was the primary word while we munched. For dessert we ate this mornings picked peaches.

At the farmer's market, I couldn't help but feeling sad as summer's produce is waning ... I'm thrilled tomatoes (my summer favorite) will be available for the next couple of weeks. In the meantime, in the next few days I'll be featuring more posts and recipes using tomatoes and peaches. Stay tuned and let's celebrate the last of this season together.