Monday, October 17, 2011

Late Harvest Salad

BROCCOLI 


I love salad of any kind and when the weather gets cooler, I particularly enjoy hardier salads that include vegetables instead of lettuce.  Here I've combined perfectly cooked (just fork tender) broccoli pieces with slivers of roasted red peppers, shredded carrots, toasted pine nuts and two of my favorite foods, Kalamata olives and Valbresso brand feta cheese. I showered this colorful, nutrient-rich combination with some extra virgin olive oil. As you can see from my photograph, Late Harvest Salad is a cheery-colored, wonderfully textured side dish that will disappear quickly! It's great accompanied with fish, chicken or beef.  



Helpful to know: Cook the broccoli until just fork tender, under cooked or over cooked broccoli will result in a completely different salad. To keep the broccoli from cooking any longer after it’s been removed from the steamer, place a shallow rimmed bowl in the refrigerator to get cold while the broccoli is cooking. This way you won’t be wasting water by running it over the broccoli to get it cool.