Friday, March 30, 2012

Kiwi Berries

I spotted kiwi berries last week in Whole Foods Market. For those of you who know me, you probably know I love to discover food I've never heard of ... I asked the produce team leader about these grape size berries, he said they taste like kiwi fruit.

I first sampled these with my foodie friend Lena. When we cut the berries we were amazed the likeness to kiwifruit. Honestly I don't know what I was expecting and didn't ask Lena what she expected, but we both said, so cute! The only difference we found, the berry seemed sweeter than any kiwifruit we've eaten. After our marvelous lunch, (more about this later) we popped juicy sweet halves into our mouths and ate them with Mexican dark chocolate infused with salt and pepper! All around this was a fun and tasty discovery!

Kiwi berries, (also known as hardy kiwifruit, arctic kiwi, baby kiwi, cocktail kiwi, dessert kiwi, grape kiwi and northern kiwi) are vine grown and produce a smooth skin, unlike their larger cousin, the kiwifruit with it's light brown fuzzy skin. Ripe kiwi berries are dull (if they're shinny, they're not ripe) and should yield to light pressure. Kiwi berries make a lovely addition to assorted fresh fruit and they are beautiful as a garnish or just savor them on their own like we did.