Friday, April 22, 2016

Artichoke Love

Even if I lived in Castroville, California (the self-proclaimed Artichoke Center of the World), I don’t think I’d tire of eating artichokes; they’re at the top of my list of favorite foods. Just the word itself represents all things good to me: my husband’s nickname for his lifelong friend Arthur is ART-tichoke, Marilyn Monroe was the first ever Miss Artichoke and, of course, there was our Norwich terrier/our love, Artichoke. 

                                                                                                     
Globe Artichokes


Click here  to find out how to prepare 
artichokes, on my YouTube video channel.


4 whole artichokes

1.      Fill a large pot with cold water and bring to a boil.
2.      Wash artichokes by simply running them under water. With a sharp knife, trim stem, leaving a 1-inch stub. Cut off the top ¼ -inch of the artichoke. With scissors, trim the sharp tips off each leaf.
3.      Place artichokes in boiling water, cover and reduce heat to medium (water should be dancing). Cook for about 40–50 minutes or until a fork inserted in the stem goes through easily.
4.      Drain artichokes and place in a casserole dish to accommodate, cover with tight fitting lid and let stand for about 30 minutes. Serve the artichokes warm with melted butter.