Yields 8 servings
5 cups bite-sized pieces French or Italian bread
6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
⅓ cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a medium pan over moderate heat, heat milk until warm.
3. Coat a 2-quart baking pan with cooking spray. Place bread cubes in prepared pan. Distribute chocolate chips over bread cubes. Add warm milk to the bread/chocolate mixture and let the mixture rest for about 15 minutes.
4. In a medium bowl, combine egg, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and salt. Whisk until well blended. Pour egg mixture evenly over bread cubes.
5. Fill a 3-quart baking pan with about ½ inch of water. Carefully set the 2-quart pan into the 3-quart baking pan.
6. Bake uncovered for 45 minutes. Serve hot from the oven.