SPAGHETTI SQUASH CAKE WITH GINGER ICING
Yield: 6 servings
1 cup cooked and finely chopped spaghetti squash
¼ cup neutral cooking oil
2 tablespoons milk
½ teaspoon vanilla
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
⅓ cup sugar
⅓ cup packed brown sugar
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon powdered ginger
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ cup ginger preserves
4 ounces light cream cheese softened
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Cut the squash in half lengthwise and remove the seeds. Filled a rimmed baking dish with about 1-2 inches of water. Place squash halves face down; the halves should be immersed about halfway in the water. Bake for about 30-45 minutes or until fork-tender. Remove squash halves from water bath. When they are cool enough to handle, turn them face side up and transfer to a platter. Once cooled, use a fork to rake out the spaghetti-like strands.
4. In a medium bowl, combine oil with egg, milk and vanilla. Add spaghetti squash and stir until well blended.
5. In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger and baking powder. Add squash mixture to flour mixture and combine until moistened and well blended. Transfer cake batter to prepared pan.
6. Bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
7. When cake has cooled transfer to a platter.
8. In a small bowl, combine ginger preserves with cream cheese. Spread icing evenly over cake. Serve immediately.