2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
⅛ teaspoon salt
½ cup (1 stick) butter, softened
½ cup sugar
½ cup brown sugar, packed
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup buttermilk
2 cups (about ½ pound) rhubarb, finely diced
½ cup walnuts, chopped
¼ cup brown sugar, packed
1½ teaspoons cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Lightly oil a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat butter with white and brown sugar. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until slightly fluffy. Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk, beat until well combined. Fold in rhubarb. Transfer cake batter to baking pan, spreading evenly.
- In a small bowl, toss walnuts, brown sugar and cinnamon. Distribute topping evenly over cake.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
About 15 servings