To round out this tasty dish, serve with a leafy green salad and slices of warm crusty bread and your favorite olive oil. Preparation tip: The longer you marinate the sun dried tomatoes, the more flavorful the tomato broth.
1 cup boiling water
¼ cup olive oil
1 cup thinly sliced leeks
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons small capers
⅓ cup toasted pine nuts
½ teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
½ pound (3 cups dry) pasta, i.e., fusilli, strozzapreti, farfalle
Feta cheese, crumbled (garnish)
1. In a small bowl, combine the sun dried tomatoes with 1 cup of boiling water. Cover and let stand for 15 minutes or several hours. Remove tomatoes, reserving water, and cut into small pieces.
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook the pasta according to package directions.
3. While the pasta is cooking, heat the oil in a sauté pan over moderate heat and sauté the leeks until tender. Add garlic and cook for a few minutes.
4. Add the tomato water, tomatoes, capers, pine nuts, salt, and pepper to the leek/garlic combination and stir to combine.
5. Divide pasta among 4 serving bowls and spoon the tomato mixture over the hot cooked pasta, distributing evenly. Serve immediately. Pass the feta cheese to your guests if desired.