Thursday, July 28, 2011

Summer Smoked Salmon Platter with Homemade Crostini and Pita Chips



I love the simplicity of a smoked salmon platter ... a quick and super simple summer appetizer. I top thin slices of salmon with capers and red onion and I serve it with an herbed cream cheese spread. Crispy crostini and pita chips are a tasty accompaniments. I prefer making my own crostini and pita chips, they taste so much fresher than store-bought. Besides its really easy to do. For the crostini, thinly slice French bread rounds, brush both sides with olive oil and bake in a 350 oven until crispy and light brown. For the pita chips, cut pita bread into bite size triangles. Heat about 4-5 inches of canola oil in a deep pan, heat over high heat, when oil is hot, drop handfuls of pita chips into oil, cook until light golden brown. Season lightly with salt.