Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Curried Shrimp and Pineapple Salad with Cashews and Cranberries

If you've been following this blog then you know I crave salads in winter and you also know I like to stay with my steadfast rule of eating foods in their growing season. So it can be a bit challenging because just about any fruit or vegetable is available from the grocery store during the winter months. I try very hard not to buy fresh food that is not in season.


For a delicious, colorful and healthy lunch I combined romaine lettuce leaves with cooked chilled shrimp, chunks of golden pineapple, toasted cashews and dried cranberries and tossed it with my tasty recipe for curry dressing. It's a zesty combination full of texture and flavor that won't disappoint. Complement with slices of authentic French bread or wholly slices of Ciabatta. Yummy!


Helpful to know: The amount of dressing is a matter of preference, I prefer the ingredients to be just lightly coated rather than swimming in dressing.


Curry Dressing

1 cup olive oil
½ cup fresh lemon juice
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons curry powder
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon salt
¼- ½ teaspoon pepper

In a large bowl, combine olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, curry powder, ginger, salt and pepper, whisk until well blended. Leftover dressing will keep for weeks refrigerated.