Sunday, January 15, 2012

French Toast Casserole with Caramelized Pineapple, Butter and Syrup

I know you're probably saying ... another recipe featuring pineapple? But the pineapple on the counter seemed to be pleading me with its aromatic aroma. Do something with me! Here's what I did ... I cubed 4 cups of Ciabatta bread and placed the cubes in a lightly oiled pie plate. I whisked 4 eggs with 1 cup of milk and added ¼ cup of  Autumn Spice Blend (for this recipe, see post for Tuesday, November 29th) and poured it over the bread cubes. I covered the dish and refrigerated it overnight.

The following morning and 1 hour prior to putting it in the oven, I removed it from the refrigerator, stirred the contents and baked it in a 350° oven for 45 minutes. I cut ripe pineapple (1 slice per person) into bite size pieces and placed them in a hot skillet with a wee bit of canola oil and cooked them until they were slightly blackened. I topped the French toast casserole with caramelized pineapple, butter and syrup. YUMMY!