Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Arugula and Kumato Salad with Poached Egg

Winter-Friendly Salad
I created this combination the other day for lunch and Mr. Fabulous deemed it one of the best salads he has ever eaten. It's got a lot of salad-friendly ingredients I love to use when building a salad. Like crispy lettuce leaves combined with crunchy ingredients and comfort food ingredients like soft cheese and a poached egg. Arugula leaves and kumato tomatoes (reddish-brown tomatoes) are cold weather-friendly, raw salad ingredients. Both wind up being the basis for a lot of salads we eat during the colder months. 


Here I've tossed arugula leaves with a basic oil and vinegar dressing. I topped the arugula with slices of kumatos, a perfectly cooked poached egg, crumbled blue cheese, (French Bleu d'Auvergne - my favorite) toasted sunflower seeds, and croutons made from homemade bread. I seasoned it with fresh ground black pepper and salt. The egg was just warm enough to further enhance the flavors of the ingredients and it just ever so slightly warmed the blue cheese. The crispy croutons sopped up the runny yolk. Yummy!