When raspberries come into season, this is one of our favorite breakfast recipes. You can whip the batter together in a few minutes. These pancakes are so delicious, tender, and fluffy you might find you will be making them through the duration of the raspberry season! If you don’t have brown rice flour on hand (I discovered it makes pancakes just a wee bit crispy), use 1 cup of all-purpose flour.
¾ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
¼ cup brown rice flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon sugar
Pinch of salt
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup raspberries, plus extra for garnishing pancakes
Neutral oil for cooking
Butter, syrup, and confectioners sugar
1. In a large bowl, combine flour, brown rice flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk egg, add milk and vanilla, whisk until blended. Add 1 cup of raspberries. Using the tines of a serving fork, mash the raspberries slightly.
3. Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
4. Coat a large skillet with neutral oil and heat over a medium high heat. (To ensure oil is hot and ready to cook pancakes, sprinkle pan with water; if it sizzles, the oil is ready.) Pour about ¼ cup of batter into the skillet for each pancake; a large skillet cooks about 3 at a time. Cook for about 2 minutes on each side or until light brown.
5. Serve immediately with butter and syrup. Garnish with raspberries and dust with confectioners’ sugar if desired.
Yield: 4 servings (about 10-12 pancakes)