Monday, June 20, 2011

Creamy Shrimp Dip Perfect for Summer Solstice Potluck Party

Over the weekend I took this Creamy Shrimp Dip to a luncheon friends were hosting in Gibson Island. I found the recipe recently when my mother and I were going through thousands of recipes she has collected over the years, many since I was a little girl. The recipe was written on a 3 x 5-inch lined index card in her beautiful script, marked with four star’s next to the title. She reminisced eating it at a neighborhood cocktail party. She said it was a hit then and I'm happy to tell you it was well received at our friends party. I'm craving the flavors and plan to prepare it for the Summer Solstice potluck party we're going to tomorrow night. 

Helpful to know: I served it with a neutral tasting cracker, but crostini, bagel or pita chips would also be tasty as dipping vessels. 

Creamy Shrimp Dip

One 8-ounce package light cream cheese, softened
½ cup mayonnaise
½ cup chili sauce
¼ onion, finely chopped
2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
1 cup (about 8-10 large shrimp) cooked shrimp, chopped (reserve one shrimp to use as a garnish if desired)

Spinach leaves for garnish if desired

In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine cream cheese, mayonnaise, chili sauce, onion and horseradish, blend until fully combined. Add shrimp and stir until incorporated. Transfer to a rimmed serving dish, cover and refrigerate for several hours. Garnish with shrimp and spinach leaves if desired. Yield: 2½
cups.