Looking forward to serving my buckwheat parsnip pancakes to my nephew who is coming over this weekend for breakfast. Can't wait to find out if he guesses the surprise ingredient!
1¼ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
½ cup buckwheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
3 eggs, separated
½ cup canola oil
1½ cups milk
1 cup peeled and shredded parsnips
Butter and syrup
1. Prepare waffle iron according to directions.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, buckwheat flour, baking powder and salt.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk egg yolks with oil and milk.
4. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in egg yolk/milk mixture. Combine with a few swift strokes. Fold in parsnips.
5. In a medium bowl, beat egg whites until stiff; fold into batter, just barely blending.
6. When waffle iron is ready, spoon a heaping ½ cup of the batter into the center of the waffle iron. Cook until light brown or until waffle iron indicator light goes out. Serve immediately with butter and syrup.