Friday, May 25, 2012

Brownie "Shooters" Nestled in Strawberry Cream
I served these for dessert at the woman's catered luncheon meeting yesterday and everyone loved the idea and the combination of flavors. It was the perfect ending to what my client said was, "a productive meeting and delectable lunch."  I find at luncheons (especially weekdays) people tend to opt out of eating dessert or they want something bite size or not too filling, so this was not only well received, it was really appreciated. 


I spooned strawberry cream into shooter glasses and nestled strips of brownies in the pool of strawberry cream. I alternately placed natural colored pink sugar (colored from beet extract) on one of my favorite platters from -  ironically - 10 Strawberry Street. The brownie recipe from my first cookbook, This Book Cooks is a tried an true decadent brownie recipe I've been preparing for years. I can nearly have the ingredients assembled before the oven is preheated! Once you've prepared everything, assemble the "shooters" just prior to serving.



Strawberry Cream

Helpful to know: Place mixing bowl and beaters in the freezer for about 2 hours prior to preparing. Strawberry Cream is best when whipped up just before serving.  For optimum results, use a good quality preserve like Bonne Maman®.

1 cup heavy whipping cream
⅓ cup strawberry preserves

Pour whipping cream into medium bowl and beat on medium speed. When the cream thickens, increase the speed and continue to beat until cream falls in large globs and has soft peaks. Fold in strawberry preserves. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve. Yield: About 2½ cups.